According to a recent study, approximately 60-70 million Indian people suffer from some kind of mental problem. In India, mental health is one topic that has several myths and taboos attached to it. And to solve this problem, our country requires trained and qualified mental health doctors & Nurses who can create awareness, provide treatment and solve this major problem in our country. If you are interested in making a career in the nursing industry, mental health can be a great specialization for you.
In this blog, we have uncovered details of the MSc mental health nursing course, and the career opportunities this Master’s course will bring for you.
Table of Contents
MSc mental health nursing- Course overview
Popularly known as Psychiatric Nursing, MSc mental health nursing is a postgraduate nursing course in the field of neurology. In this course, students learn majorly about the clinical practice in mental health services. The course curriculum of this course also covers concepts such as social and cultural foundations, human growth and development, career and lifestyle development, mental health counselling practice and research, and research and program development, etc.
Below mentioned are the course highlights of the MSc mental health nursing course offered by Cheran College of Nursing
|Availability of seats
|Candidates should have completed graduation in BSC nursing/BSc Hons. or an equivalent degree and have secured aggregate marks of 50% from a recognized college/University by the Indian Nursing Council. Candidates should also possess a minimum of 1 year of working experience in a teaching hospital/college/Nursing school.Candidates should also register themselves with the Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwives Council, Chennai.
|Top recruiting sectors
|Colleges & Universities, Hospitals, Clinics & Healthcare Centres, Charities, Old Age Residential Homes, Community Units, and Rehabilitation Units.
Career avenues after completing MSc mental health nursing
● Mental health counsellor– Mental health counsellors treat patients who are dealing with mental or emotional disorders using psychotherapy techniques. In order to enhance a person’s quality of life, mental health counsellors can offer assistance, support, and guidance as well as assist in identifying triggers, coping with unpleasant feelings, and minimising symptoms.
● Clinical psychologist– A clinical psychologist is a specialist in mental health who is licenced to conduct various psychological examinations to detect and treat mental illness. They assist young individuals, adults, seniors, and children who could be having issues with their physical or mental well-being or with disabilities.
● Health psychologist- The study of the effects of biological, social, and psychological factors on health and sickness is the specialty field of health psychology. To aid people or groups in avoiding sickness and promoting healthy behaviours, many health psychologists actively participate in clinical settings. Others carry out research on matters pertaining to health or have an impact on public policy matters of health care.
● Psychologist– Students of MSc nursing colleges in Coimbatore can pursue their careers as a psychologist. Psychologists study the mind and behaviour to treat the mental, behavioural, or emotional illness of the patients.
● Vocational rehabilitation counsellor– Vocational rehabilitation counsellors assist people in coping with stress and other impacts of physical and mental impairments on their careers, which may be the result of mishaps, illnesses, injuries, birth deformities, or disease. These experts also train clients how to look for jobs and submit applications.
● Psychiatric technician– A psychiatric technician collaborates closely with medical professionals to observe, track, and care for patients with mental illnesses. They are front-line staff members under the supervision of doctors who are present on the hospital premises and report back to senior medical staff on the general health of patients.
● Mental health Nurse/Registered Nurse– Nursing colleges in Tamil Nadu prepare their students to become mental health nurses. Mental health nurses work with hospitals or community settings under other health professionals to assist them in diagnosis, assessment, and in providing treatment to patients dealing with psychiatric disorders.
● Substance abuse counsellor– Substance abuse counsellors or addiction counsellors offer specialised care and support to those who battle a variety of mental health conditions due to dependency on drugs or alcohol. They also assist patients in managing and recovering from various addictions, including gambling addiction.
Higher education options
● PhD in Nursing– Students interested in doing research work after completion of the MSc mental health nursing course can pursue PhD in nursing by selecting a specific area of research in mental health nursing.
● M.Phil in Nursing– To make a career in nursing colleges/teaching hospitals, students can join the best nursing colleges in Tamilnadu that offer an M.Phil program in nursing.
Know about this Top Msc Nursing college in Tamilnadu
Ranked among the top-rated MSc Nursing college in Tamilnadu, Cheran College of Nursing offers BSc and MSc courses in Nursing. The college strives towards creating qualified nursing professionals to serve different health issues. They are making this dream a reality by offering an industry-approved curriculum, with all the essential facilities at the campus. The college has also made collaborations with several health facilities and hospitals to provide their student training and placement facilities.
We hope this blog helps you understand the wider career opportunities available after studying mental health at MSc Nursing colleges in Tamilnadu. Now, register yourself in this crucial field of nursing to solve one of the major health problems of India.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the factors affecting mental health?
Poor mental health can be caused by various factors such as-
- Childhood trauma, abuse
- Long-term physical health issues
- Drug/Alcohol addiction
- Long term-stress
- Neurological condition
- What are the common mental disorders?
Depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress, Personality disorder, and schizophrenia are some of the common mental disorders.
- What are the job opportunities available in Maternal health nursing?
After completing Maternal health nursing, students can join nursing homes, hospital administration, medical labs, and colleges and Universities as staff nurses, nurse managers, nursing executives, healthcare assistants, nursing in charge, and teachers.
- Which are the top recruiting organizations visiting for campus placement in Cheran College of Nursing?
Cheran Group of Nursing has made strategic alliances with the top healthcare organizations to recruit their students. Some of the top recruiters are-
- Dr. Reddy’s
- Bhagirathi Hospital
- G. Kuppuswamy Naidu Memorial Hospital
- Royal care
- Medwin hospitals
- Max Hospital
- Sun Pharma
- Gem Hospital and Research Center Pvt. Ltd.
- KTVR Group Hospital
- PSG Hospitals
- Richmond hospital
- Which subjects I’ll study in mental health nursing?
The major subjects you’ll study in MSc mental health nursing course are-
- Advanced Nursing Practice
- Psychiatry Nursing
- Nursing Management
- Neurological Disorders
- Mental health Studies
- Personality Theories
- Clinical Speciality
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Psychotic Disorders